Saturday, November 04, 2006

a new approach...

Good Gravy I love my son!!! Sorry - I was just watching him sleep and I still cant get over how perfect and beautiful and just plain WONDERFUL he is!!!!! Sometimes I just get so excited over the fact that hes really here and I get to raise him. Out of all the babies in the world I happen to get the most perfect one ever!!!! I have to give Chris most of the credit though, cos I doubt all that charm and those good looks come from me! Anyway....

I received a pack I requested from Sport Waikato yesterday detailing all these activites that you can do with your baby to encourage various aspects of their development, such as cognitive and motor skills. So anyway... after a few minutes of reading it I started to get very upset because I couldnt do a lot of the activites with Jase cos he doesnt have the pre-requesite skills needed. A lot of babies J's age can crawl, say a word or two maybe, and some are even walking. Jase loves to scootch backwards in a round-a-bout sort of way, but cant go forwards, and all though he can stand there when I help him, hes not a big fan of walking. I think my baby is just a late developer, and for some babies their size (hes big) can be a hinderance. He is still very much in the normal range, but also I think some if it is my fault. The thing is I do to much for him. If hes struggling to get a book from the bottom of the pile I get it for him, if he wants a particular toy he cant reach I get it for him - that sort of thing. So, I have made a couple of changes.

Firstly, I have put away his soft blanky and pillow (one of those triangle ones) that has been permenatly set up in the lounge - so he doesnt hurt his noggin if he topples backwards. The pillow probably limited his mobility a bit cos it hemmed him in, and he just plain doesnt need a blanky to sit on anymore.
Secondly, I have had my child in socks every day since last summer ended cos I didnt want his poor little feet getting cold. But apparently having bare feet aids walking and crawling - so he hasnt has any socks on since yesterday. Hes become obsessed with his toes, hes constantly nibbling on them - poor little buggars probably trying to figure out what they are!!!
And, we have also packed up all his toys - they are no longer permenantly set up for him in the lounge. After every play time they go in a big giant nappy bin with a lid and put in the corner of the lounge. When its time to play again I get the bucket out and J takes of the lid and gets his toys out himself. I think he really digs that - he plays with the lid for a while before examining the contents.

But I have to admit, its been a rough day or two for me, feeling like Ive let Jason down. But, the thing is - it doesnt matter when he learns to crawl forward (if he ever does), or when he starts walking, talking or rides a bike. He will eventually do it, and I have read enough testimonials from other parents whos baby's didnt start walking till 15 months and is now captain of what ever school sports team, to know that it really really doesnt matter. I think what has me so upset, is that deep deep down I worry that other people will think Im a terrible mother. That my baby isnt crawling yet because I cant be bothered doing the excersises and activites with him. The thing is I spend ALL my time with Jason - in fact my Mum says I spend TOO much time with him. He has a very structured day - the schedules on the fridge, so that if I die Chris can see what happens when!! - two naps, three meals, two snacks, two story times, one walk - all that stuff is structured and happens every day at the same time. I really thought I was doing every thing I could to encourage his development - and its all been undone by a pair of socks??!!!!!!!!!! what the????

Ahh, perhaps I just need to chill. He will do things when he feels like and not before. We will try out these activies and just have fun - if it puts the idea of crawling or walking in his head a bit sooner that it would have - great, but if not - its no big deal. And in the mean time I will practice letting him do things himself, instead of always running to the rescue.

and now...some photos! Taken in the last two or three days.


Sometimes morning tea just gets a little boring.
This is the beginning stage of his demon boy look. The expression becomes a lot more exagerated and he really does look like a happy little demon!
He cant crawl forwads, but he has his first pimple!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home